Thursday, January 10, 2013

Potentiometers and Switches

Today I played with more electronics and inventoried my parts for robot building.

I learned that components require optimal current to keep their lifespan healthy. For instance, the LED runs best at about 0.02 amps, so with a 5V power adapter, it should have 5/0.02 (Ohm's law) resistance in its circuit. Too much current will damage the component, reducing its lifespan.

 This is a photoresistor - it varies its resistance based on how much light it detects.

 This circuit has 250 ohms of resistors, resulting in less current than is optimal for the LED.

The potentiometer is simply a resistor with a knob that varies its resistance. If you couple a potentiometer with an optimal resistor, you emulate a house light fixture with an analogue control. The optimal resistor prevents the resistance from ever going too low!

A neat double switch circuit that emulates your average hall light switches. Flip either switch, and the light will toggle!


Soon I will build a simple robot from my newly acquired VEX parts.

 Here's a shot of my new parts (that got used last season and had ruined inventory)!
I had to re-inventory them and discard all the extra parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment